ATV Forum

ATVFan

Join ATVFan

Yamaha Kodiak Temp light

Discuss your favorite Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Kodiak Temp light

Postby AKult » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:26 pm

Hello everyone, I am new to atvfan. I stumbled accross this forum in my efforts to find a fix for a problem on my 2000 Yamaha Kodiak 400. My temp warning light comes on when I turn my ignition on without the quad running. I have no idea what the problem is. obviously the machine can not be overheating. Has anyone ever had a problem like this, or maybe a suggestion. Thanks
AKult
400cc
400cc

Re: Yamaha Kodiak Temp light

Postby BassMaster » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:34 pm

As far as I know almost all Utility atv's do it. My old Honda did it so do all Brutes. So just get used to it.

It turns off when you start it right?
2008 Kawasaki Brute Force 750i
- 27" Mud Bugs
- 3000lb Winch
- Snorkels

2007 Suzuki Quadsport Z400
2008 Kawasaki Brute Force 750i
BassMaster
650cc
650cc

Postby AKult » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:09 pm

No-the light does not shut off when the quad is running. It comes on when I turn the key and stays on all the time.
AKult
400cc
400cc

Postby gjeffers » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:18 pm

my 2006 does it also. i let the place work on it where i bought it and they could not fix it. we changed the sending unit and then they tried putting a whole new dash setup on it to no avail and since they were not a authorized dealer they told me to take it to one but i live 160 miles from the nearest one so im just living with it. the fan and everything else works fine so i just ride it and keep an eye on things.i have 1700 miles on it now.
gjeffers
450cc
450cc

Postby threefortyduster » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:31 am

Have you checked the wire running from the sending unit? If it is grounding out, it can certainly cause an indicator light. Check to make sure the wire didn't happen to get pinched anywhere or stuck.
Spencer
2005 Dodge Dakota V8+Nitrous
1973 Plymouth Duster 340 (nitrous halfway there)
1988 Dodge Dakota cammed/heads V6 (soon to have nitrous)
2008 Yamaha Grizzly 450

2008 Yamaha Grizzly 450 4x4
2006 Kawasaki Bayou 250
2005 Yamaha Grizzly 125
threefortyduster
500cc
500cc

Postby auzzie » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:56 am

It must be earthed out somewhere in the wires.
auzzie
500cc
500cc

Postby Obe » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:11 am

I don't know if you are still following this post, but I have a Yamaha Kodiak that overheats frequently. The dealer told me they run a little hot and will overheat if left idling too long, I find that bizarre that they would design a machine like that and consider that comment pure garbage. This problem started for me after about 80 miles of run time.
Here is what I've noticed: If the level in the radiator is too low (below the temp sensor that runs the fan, about 50% radiator capacity), the fan won't turn on and the machine will heat up rapidly and overheat. You're all done by that time. I think the high temp light sensor is on the engine, but I may be wrong but it does signal you in enough time to prevent engine damage. The overflow bottle is not a good indicator of coolant level, never trust it (I've had a full overflow bottle with an empty radiator). I still haven't figured out where the coolant is going other than it's not going into the oil! There is a leak somewhere in my machine but it's difficult to pinpoint. I replaced the thermostat after the first time it overheated thinking a stuck stat may have caused radiator high temp/pressure and that is how I lost coolant, but that has not corrected the problem. I've been having to check the radiator level after about every 10 hours of running. Sometimes its ok, other times its low. Access to the radiator is a pain if your in the woods, you have to remove the rack. Carry a small set of metric sockets with you because the tools in the Yamaha kit are basically useless for removing the rack. Like a car, fill the radiator (after it cools down obviously) and start the machine with the cap off and let the machine heat up so coolant is circulating and then add coolant as necessary. I've been checking multiple posts on the issue of Kodiak 400 and Grizzly 450 machines overheating and haven't come across a definitive answer yet as to the source of the problem or corrective action. I have low confidence in the machine until I can find out where the coolant is going and get it corrected.
Obe
400cc
400cc

Postby yamahadriver13 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:49 am

yah my bruin 350 also does the same thing i think all atvs do it.
Raptor 700 se
-Yuroshima pipe

Banshee 350
-DG Performance Type II Silencer
-Boured piston (bigger piston)
-Keihin carbuerator
- Skull graghics

2008 Yamaha Raptor
yamahadriver13
450cc
450cc

Postby Obe » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:20 pm

Update on my previous post for finding the leak on an overheating Kodiak 400. Apparently Yamaha thinks using carbon spring-steel hose clamps are an effective and long-term method of clamping rubber hoses. I have news for them, they aren't! I discovered one spring-steel hose clamp missing from the connection to the radiator (probably rusted off) and a second clamp simply broke but clinging to the hose where it is connected on the return side of the engine (it looked like it was still tight on the hose but the back was cracked through, it fell off in my hand). I replaced all the carbon spring-steel type hose clamps on the machine with stainless steel worm gear clamps. My coolant leakage and overheating issue stopped.
Obe
400cc
400cc

Postby yamahadriver13 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:05 pm

My bruin has the samething wrong with it but it is faulty wiring cause my reverse light was doing it to and we fixed that but my temp light flickers on and off when that cord gets moved so i would look at the wires that are connecting to that light and move them around and see what happens
Raptor 700 se
-Yuroshima pipe

Banshee 350
-DG Performance Type II Silencer
-Boured piston (bigger piston)
-Keihin carbuerator
- Skull graghics

2008 Yamaha Raptor
yamahadriver13
450cc
450cc

Return to Yamaha